Image Map

11.23.2011

Books You'll Find Under Our Tree: AMMO Books Review

In true second child fashion, I am totally stumped about what to get B for Christmas. I'm pretty much done with W, but it's hard to justify getting new stuff for a baby who can't open gifts and won't remember any of it anyway. So, I decided that books would be the best thing for me to focus on this year. And, let's face it, W will get his hands on any book that I buy for B, as well. Though we have tons of books , we can always use new ones. Mom and Dad get tired of reading the same books over and over and over...

I received Colors by Charley Harper and Counting in the Garden by Emily and Patrick Hruby from AMMO Books. And they're really good for both boys. I love the art in them. The colors, the black outlines, and the patterns just seem to mesmerize B. And he grips the corner of the page and only lets go when he's ready to move on. I love that the more you look at the pages, the more you see in them. We spent plenty of time with B gripping the book and staring while W pointed out shapes and other objects in the photos.


My favorite of the two is Counting in the Garden. We planted our first vegetable garden this summer (though it performed terribly) and W checked on the progress of his tomatoes and green beans multiple times a day. I like that this book focuses on not only counting, but shows how things add up when you're planting a garden.

i find that counting books are often a drag. We have plenty of books that just show a sleu of items with a big number next to them. The number 20 with a photo of 20 hats doesn't do much for me. I prefer books that can count with a point, like this one.


Colors is great, because it has multiple styles and lots of fun, super bright colors. Again, color books are often boring. Seriously, how many books do you need that spell the color blue and then on the other page show a blue show, blue hat, and blue car. BORR-RINGGG. This book is much more hip and fun. I found myself genuinely enjoying the pictures.

They'll be wrapped and under the tree when the big day rolls around, but I had to give them a once over first. I would highly recommend you consider putting them under your tree as well.

I encourage you to check out the website for AMMO Books. They're really fun and exciting and have a lot of great things to offer. It's a very different style of children's books.... One that we Hannemaniacs really appreciate.

Disclosure: I received complimentary copies of these books. The opinions in this post are my own.

No comments: