Image Map

11.26.2013

The Nutcracker at The Marriott Theatre for Young Audiences... Go See It!

Our W has a flair for the dramatic. He loves putting on a show, acting out a scene, and can carry a mean tune. The world is his stage... Though his skits seem to be more of the super hero variety, I jumped at the chance to take him to see The Nutcracker last week at The Marriott Theatre for Young Audiences in Lincolnshire.

I told him all about how I used to see The Nutcracker when I was a little girl not sure whether he'd be into it or not. I gave him the heads up that there wouldn't be a lot of talking, mostly music and dancing. He was excited about it. We invited one of his best pals to join us. I wasn't sure how they would do since the two of them can be chatty and hadn't seen each other in a while. But I figured we could hit the road if they were disruptive.

The show started and the boys were mesmerized. And I mean totally MESMERIZED. And behavior was excellent. Why? Because the show was funny and engaging and the costumes were fun and The Mouse King was fabulous.

George Keating as The Mouse King = I Stole The Show
Doesn't sound like The Nutcracker you remember? Cuz it isn't. It's based on The Nutcracker, but a more kid-friendly, hip take on it with enough smart jokes to keep the parents engaged. For me, this is children's theater at its finest.

So, if you have kids and you're looking to introduce them to The Nutcracker this is your perfect opportunity. Ever since W has been hearing little bits of music from The Nutcracker and relating it back to the show. If I could take him back, I would. Maybe I will. He would happily sit through it again.
Your traditional Nutcracker photo for a very non-traditional Nutcracker.
 And - if you haven't been to the Marriott Theatre - there is not a bad seat in the house. It's an excellent introduction to theatre for the little ones. If I can recommend one holiday adventure this year - this is it. Make time before the show closes on December 28th. Tickets are $15 and the show runs at 10 am most Tuesdays through Sundays. Visit www.MarriottTheatre.com for details.

My biggest regret? No pictures. HOW DID I NOT GET A PICTURE OF THE BOYS NEXT TO THE SIGN?!?! Ugh. Shameful parenting. Just make sure you do and share your photos with me!

Full disclosure: I received four complimentary tickets to The Nutcracker. All opinions are my own. And when I say you should go, I mean it.


No comments: