Image Map

10.05.2010

ABC's: Baby Steps Forward, Toddler Step Back

William has been reciting his ABC's and identifying letters on their own since he was about a year and a half. It was just something that came naturally to him. The alphabet quilt on the wall of his bedroom and lots of time playing Starfall are credited with this. However, once he mastered his letters, we stopped some of the things that made him so excited about them to begin with. Starfall was played less often. We quizzed him on letters less and less.

Recently we've realized that his spot on letter identification has slipped a bit. He's started to switch some letters around lately or takes a second to come up with the right answer. We've learned a valuable lesson. Just because something is figured out doesn't mean you have to keep working on it, which is true in all areas of life. I have a feeling this is one of those parent lessons we'll continue to learn.

Last night I was wearing an IOWA t-shirt and William looked at it and correctly identified each letter.

"Do you know what it spells?" I asked

"Yeah, I do know what it spells," he replied.

"What does it spell?"

"Gap." He looked at me with the straightest, "duh" face you can imagine.

We're clearly not onto reading yet and this kid has defined the everything that drives me crazy, yet is totally brilliant about Gap.

2 comments:

Windtraveler said...

Hahaha....I can see his little face now..."Gap"...DUH!
So cute! Messing up letters or not, he's brilliant. LOVE YOU, MISS YOU!

Lara Kercinik said...

And just this week Jack is really starting to recognize and say letters at 18 months. Thanks for the heads up. As always, I continue to learn from you, wise one. :) More Starfall it is - good thing my matching skills are top notch these days :)