Image Map

2.18.2011

Sassy Moms In The City Event: Will You Be There?


If you've been here before, you know that I work in fundraising and am a lover of all sorts of opportunities to be charitable, help others, share awareness, yada, yada, yada. But, I have to admit I haven't really found "our" cause. Sure, I work for a disease organization that has a personal connection to my family (my aunt) and have become passionate about the cause through the volunteers I'm lucky enough to work with every day. We've supported NPR, local public television, museums, an animal shelter, a domestic violence shelter, and environmental groups. If a friend asks for a donation to support their efforts, I try to give. But, I'm not joining any boards or committees or personally fundraising, because I don't have "our" cause yet. For this I should feel lucky. Usually you choose a cause based on the hardship of a family member.

Next week I'll be going to the Sassy Moms Night Out Event on Thursday. When I told Matt about it, explaining that it was a fundraiser for the American Heart Association and New Moms, Inc. and I'd like to make a donation. He said, "Of course, you should. That's a cause that's important to us."

How could I have never realized that American Heart Association (to which I have never donated) is an organization that is important to us? Besides the fact that heart health is important to everyone... It's especially important to a family who will face heart surgery in 30 years or so. Matt will need a valve replacement. It's really not that big of a deal. His dad just had his done in November and feels like he's got a new lease on life. It's not something we think about that much, but it will be a big deal when it happens.

So, now I can say I'm thrilled to be going to support an organization close to my heart (no pun intended). And, I'm thrilled to go because I could really use a night out. Interested in joining me?

Here are the details:
Event: WBBM Newsradio 780 and 104.3 JACK FM present Sassy Moms Night Out
Date: Thursday, February 24th
Time: 7:00-10:00 pm
Location: Alhambra Palace Restaurant (1240 West Randolph in Chicago)
Price: Tickets are $60
RSVP: Here or call 800-320-2289 ex. 1
For more info visit: Connect with Sassy Moms in the City
Other fun details: Night includes red carpet treatment, cocktails, hor d'oeuvres, swag bag from 1154 LILL Studio, a copy of "Bump it Up: Transform your Pregnancy into the Ultimate Style Statement" by fashion forward Amy Tara Koch, a fashion demo, and beauty services.

A portion of the night's tickets sales will benefit the American Heart Association's "Go Red for Women" campaign and guests are encouraged to bring gently worn maternity items to help support New Moms, Inc., a Chicago-based agency dedicated to serving at-risk adolescent parents and their children. (Donations with be accepted from 11 am-8 pm at Alhambra Palace.)

Sounds like a great night, right? Well, then, come with me! Let me know if I'll see you there.

Disclosure: I received two complimentary tickets for promoting this event. However, I will make a donation to cover my ticket price (more money for the charity - wee!) and I would have posted about a cool event like this anyway.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you'll be there, too. I'm so looking forward to this event - such a great cause and a creative and fun way to support it.

Caitlin said...

See you tomorrow night lady!