Image Map

7.19.2012

Good Deeds 2012: Week 29 Don't Let Big Plastic Bully Me

Good Deed: Signed petition to Illinois Governor Quinn to veto a bill that would not allow cities in Illinois to create plastic bag bans.

I'm so tired of seeing plastic bags stuck to fences, floating in the lake, blowing down the street, and I'm also tired of hearing about how bad they are for our environment. I try really, really hard not to use them. I'm not always perfect. I often forget my reusable bags, but I always choose paper when I do. But it would not affect my life if they were banned and I think that the damage they cause to the environment and water outweighs their convenience.

A 12 year-old named Abby started this petition as part of her school project to get a local ban on plastic bags. Enter big lobbyists and you can guess how the rest of the story goes. I like kids who are trying to make a difference and it's a pleasure to support their (good) efforts. If you agree, sign the bill.

What was your good deed this week?

No comments: