Image Map

2.24.2014

Homemade Oatmeal Bars: I'm Obsessed

I'm obsessed with these homemade oatmeal bars. It was one of those... Hmmm, how can I make an oatmeal snack that everyone will love and can be made with stuff that is already in the pantry? A quick google search and I found this recipe as a starting point.

My variation on KathEats's recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup pistachios
  • 1/4 cups sliced almonds
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 T shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup dried cherries
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t. vanilla
Mix all the dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk the eggs and add the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the wet to the dry ingredients. It will look like this:
Don't be afraid if it seems too watery. It's all good.

Pour into a baking dish that is well sprayed or lined with parchment (I would suggest the latter). Bake for 40 minutes. I would suggest sprinkling the top with a bit of sugar and cinnamon and then broiling for a couple minutes as they're finishing for a nice sweet, caramelized top for a little sweetness.

With these the combinations are totally endless. I literally opened my cabinet and just used what I had in there. They're all gone. And I can't wait to make another batch tomorrow. Seriously, everyone loved them. What do you have in your cabinet to throw into these bars?

No comments: