Image Map

2.18.2014

Total Body Rapid Cleanse(d)

To kick off 2014 Matt and I decided we needed a good kick-in-the-ass detox. After our way overly-indulgent holidays (can you say Rumchata?) we just needed a reset. I had no idea what exact cleanse we should us and then found this box at Whole Foods - seven days, on sale. Boom. I bought two.

Then I got home and decided to do a little research (typical me - buy first, research later) and couldn't find a ton of stuff online. So, maybe this little overview might help other people doing the same research or YOU if you need the same kick-in-the-ass that we did. The reality is the idea of a cleanse can be a tad bit intimidating. Could be the horror stories of starvation, sweating out years of toxins, or the need to be within 10 feet of a bathroom at all times... Or just the idea of restricting your diet for a week can be scary. I agree - all very scary.

We wanted something tame. The thought of being stuck in the house, potentially uncomfortable commutes, and detox side effects, was kind of daunting. We didn't want to spend a lot of money. We didn't want to have to make smoothies every day... during the coldest winter in the history of the world.

So, this kit fit the bill and I stocked up on fruits and veggies. We got started on a Monday. Most days were ok. Sure, we were hungry, but we weren't ripping each other's heads off hungry... Until Thursday when we were both seeing a little red and starting to lose our will to continue (especially Matt), so we threw in a handful of almonds, which actually helped. Protein makes everything better. A cocktail with those nuts would have also made everything better, but that would have pretty much killed the detox. Ho hum.

Honestly, though, it really was not that difficult to stick to the diet of fruits and vegetables. We each had at least one avocado a day - usually sprinkled with salt for breakfast - and it was pretty awesome. Also, there is a lot you can do with vegetables, so I tried to get creative with salads and roasted lots of veggies for flavor.

The detox includes pills and a drink twice a day. They didn't mess with our stomachs, weren't a pain to swallow or make us feel off at all. If anything, my biggest complaint was the taste of the drink. Blech. But, it was only twice a day and those skills I learned in college came in handy... We thoroughly enjoyed our twice daily chugging contests, says the reigning champ (me).

So, yeah, not bad... And then there are the results...

How did we feel? Totally awesome. Seriously. No inflammation. Well hydrated. More energy. Skin was clear. Our bodies just felt like they were working efficiently and felt like what I imagine a car feels like after an oil change. A lot of the symptoms that made a doctor think I had celiac last year went away completely.

Did we lose weight? Matt lost 10 pounds. I lost 6 pounds. While most of this was water weight, it has been a month and we've both kept it off.

Would we do it again? Absolutely. We actually plan to do this every few months as a good check in for our systems. I'm seriously excited to do it again.

What did we learn? If you asked me how well our family eats, I would happily brag about it. But, you know what? I'm a total liar? My kids eat awesome. Matt and I get what's left. Since the kids loves fruits and veggies, we often don't get many. So, I wrote a post on it for Chicago Parent. Now, hop on over there and read it. It might just make you reconsider what's on your own plate.

Note: I have no relationship with this company. I did not receive any compensation for this post, nor did I receive complimentary product.

1 comment:

Amy Cooper said...

Very informative blog. I was searching for something like this. your blog helped me a lot. Thank you so much for sharing. rapid cleanse