Image Map

2.20.2010

Munchkin Face

I taught the little man to say "Hey, munchkin face!" last night. I thought it would be a nice way to greet Matt when we picked him up from the train. It didn't quite work out as I was hoping, but my vision was pretty great.

That's the thing with kids... They just don't take a cue. We have a toddler on our hands with a crazy vocab. Seriously, it's unsettling sometimes. But, my boy simply refuses to be a trick pony. He likes to write his own dialogue. I think most kids roll like that.

I used to get really annoyed when my friends would put their kids on the phone and try to get them to talk to me... The kid would sit there, I would make some uncomfortable one-sided conversation, and then start calling the parent's name in hopes they'd hear me and save me. So, now the roles are reversed and I'm putting W on the phone with directives of what to say. Who the heck is this lady? I am so sorry to everyone I have put through this. (Except Aunt Danni, cuz she calls for that reason alone most of the time.)

But, seriously, the hesitance or annoyance in your voice alone is not enough. I hear it. I just don't care, because I figure once you have a one-sided conversation with my kid I'll be forgiven. And even when you tell me you have to go, I'll quickly thrust the phone at the boy with even more insistence that he say "Ti amo, Howie" or "monster jammies." If I was a more thoughtful person I would take a moment to realize that no one wants to talk to an almost 18 month old, except for their parents. So, I'm really going to try to work on this.... Try is all I can do.

No comments: