Image Map

9.21.2011

How To Make A Working Family Feel Included

I'm one of the room parents for W's preschool class. I know,I know, things are crazy enough around here... But of all the things I'm doing in my life, being involved with my kids has to move to the top. So, what if I work full time, have a three month old, and this here blog??? Add room parent to the list!

I'm excited about being involved with the preschool. It's an opportunity to meet other families in the area, watch W blossom, and take part in a serious milestone in his life. I want to be a part of this experience with him. And I can, even if I work full time.

At the meeting for all the room parents, we were told that one of our first tasks was to set up a meet and greet for the families to get together. Awesome, right? The volunteer coordinator mentioned that cliques can form quickly and this is a nice way for everyone to get to know each other. She then mentioned that we should meet at a park or use the outdoor play area after class, which means at 11:30 on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. What working parent would be able to take part in that?

So, I raised my hand and mentioned that, as a working mom, if I were to get that information I wouldn't feel that it was intended for all families, just families with a parent who stays home. I know I'm not the only working mom in the class. I met two others, I'm not alone.

And what about the dads? I'm sure more of them would come if this were to take place on a weekend.

I know, weekends are cherished time. Trust me, I get it. But, it's 2011. Shouldn't families with two working parents expect to be included?

2 comments:

Cindy Fey said...

Thanks. I feel better about our choice as room parents to book the get together on a Saturday. We couldn't avoid conflicting with other events, but at least we didn't make the working parents feel excluded. I hope.

Laila @OnlyLaila said...

I feel the same way about my being involved at my son's school. So far I feel like they've been very working/single mom friendly. There have been events during the day AND evening. It's important that they have your voice to speak up for parents who work.