Image Map

9.07.2011

Welcome to Preschool: First Day

Today was W's first day of preschool. Translation: He went to class with seven other kids for an hour while the moms sat in the corner and whispered to each other. For all the fanfare (new outfit, backpack, lots of talking it up), it wasn't that big of a deal.

He loved it. I knew he would. I had to keep grabbing his hand to keep him from running away from me as soon as we entered the school. I was so very happy to have him act that way.

Last week he went on an anti-preschool rant:

"I don't want to go to preschool," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't want to listen to the coach's words."

"You'll have a teacher, not a coach, and I'm sure you'll get to talk, too."

"I don't want to be on a school bus."

"You're not taking a bus. I'll drive you."

"I don't want another William in my class."

"Wellll, you better get used to it, kid. You have a pretty common name. This will not be the last time. But, maybe his name will be Will or Bill or Billy the Kid."

William met William, another cute little boy with unruly, dark hair. Despite looking totally confused when the teachers sang a song about the other William, W did a great job. He played and chatted and got into cabinets he wasn't supposed  to.

But, there is one thing he refused to do...  Cooperate for pictures. These are the best shots I could get:

How long will she chase me with that camera?

OK, so if I pretend she isn't here, what are the chances she'll go away?


No comments: