Good Deed: Donating a grocery bag of non-perishable foods to National Association of Letter Carriers's Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive.
Did you hear that Saturday, May 12th will be the nation's largest single-day food drive? And you don't even have to leave your house. This is the 20th year that the National Association of Letter Carriers have held this drive and in 2011 they collected 70.2 million pounds of donated food.
To take part, leave your bag of non-perishable food at your door on Saturday. Your friendly mail person will collect the food and deliver to the local food bank or pantry.
Consider these hunger statistics from Feeding America based on their 2011 Annual Report:
- 1 in 6 Americans are facing hunger.
- 1 in 8 Americans are currently serviced by Feeding America.
- 1 in 6 Americans live at or below the poverty line.
- Nearly 49 million Americans, including more than 16 million children, are facing hunger.
- 5.7 million Americans are served by the Feeding America network everyday.
Note: I am in no way affiliated with Feeding America, nor was I compensated for this post.