Image Map

6.13.2011

Big Brother Song


The hardest part of having a second child is your first child. Suddenly you realize just how much they've grown and your expectations for them seem a little unfair. How are they supposed to share the spotlight overnight?

Anyone who knows W knew that this transition would be tough for him... He's not only our first child, he's my parents first grandchild, my sisters's first nephew, my aunt and uncles first great-nephew, my cousins's first second cousin, and my grandpa's first great grandchild. You know what I'm saying, right? He's everyone's first. So, he gets a ton of attention and is a lover of the spotlight.

He's clearly learned how to read his audience and is quite possibly the funniest person I have ever met. For a two year-old, he has an uncanny sense of humor and timing. I know all kids are funny, but he has an exceptional ability to make us laugh.

The other day he was leaning over B in the swing and, as he likes to do, he was making up a little song that went something like this:

You're so cute, Look at those little feet. I love you. You're my brother. What a sweet baby.

I rubbed his back and thought, "Wow, what a great big brother! He's really embracing this... What a sweet moment."

And then he wraps up his song with...

I don't love you. Go away.

He glanced up at me with a sideways smile, waiting for my reaction. I couldn't help but laugh.

OK, so maybe we're almost there.

*Photo courtesy of our neighbor, Evan

No comments: