Image Map

6.19.2011

Why We're Lucky on Father's Day


Happy Father's Day to all the amazing dads out there! Especially one in particular...

I am the first to admit that I am so very lucky. Matt is the most hands-on Dad you may ever meet. Truth be told, he has had far more one-on-one time with W than I have. He gives up all of his own free time for W. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out who is having more fun when they're playing or who is driving the story line for the Smurfs, cars, trains, and dinos.

Matt is a special kind of father. We are so lucky to have him and I'm incredibly thankful to have such a wonderful role model for my boys. I hope they always know how much he loves them.

Being a *good* dad isn't an easy job. Dads tend to be the butt of the jokes in tv ads, framed as a clueless dunce who just can't ever seem to get it right, with mom in the background rolling her eyes, hands firmly on hips. Moms tend to be the decision makers, the driving force in the home, but expect Dads to read our minds when it's time to jump in and do things the same way we would. When the kids get hurt or sick, they reach for Mom. Mom is the established parent, often the family expert on the kids. There is something a bit unfair about that when it comes to Dad. I could go on and on, but when it comes to parents I feel like the more thankless job tends to be Dad's. And, yes, there are many Dads out there who deserve it, but luckily I'm not married to one of them.

No comments: