Image Map

6.11.2009

Best Ever Spinach Artichoke Dip

I've been asked again and again for this recipe (sometimes by the same people, but I won't name any names), so I thought I would share it here with summer right around the corner.

I cannot take any credit for this recipe. There is a restaurant/bar in Iowa City that served this and it was a staple in my college career. (Which explains some of the college weight gain.)

Anyway, my sister's friend worked there and shared the recipe with her. I've had it for years and it's my go-to appetizer. It makes a really good sized batch, but is usually finished, no matter the number of people.

Here it is:
3 blocks cream cheese
2 boxes frozen spinach
1 can artichoke hearts (I suggest halved or quartered)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 mayo
5 shakes tobasco (or more if you'd like)
1/3 teaspoon of: black pepper, ground double super fine mustard, thyme leaves, rosemary leaves, onion powder, garlic powder
Parmesan cheese to taste

Directions:
Cut cream cheese blocks into slices and dry the spinach and artichokes as much as possible. Mix all ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Stir often. Add milk for creaminess, if necessary. Add parmesan to taste. Best served with tortilla chips.

YUM. Matt is our official taste tester, but I can tell you it is all in the balance of the thyme. That's what really makes it work. If you make it, let me know how it turns out.

No comments: