Image Map

1.05.2012

Good Deeds in 2012

There are more than one million charities in the U.S. And there are millions more ways to make a difference every day or do a simple good deed. I've heard lots of chatter about how people want to do something to help others, but don't know how to start. With limited time and resources, I think it's tough. People are more protective of their personal time and wallets, but people are generous at the core. I believe that. I have to believe that and luckily work in a place that allows me to see people's optimism and generosity every day. Generosity is why I have a job.

I've been playing with the idea of how to bring charity to the blog for a while now, so we're going to make it a focus for 2012... Each week I am going to do something that makes a difference and share it with you here. It can be making a donation, volunteering, a good deed, something to give you an idea of what you can do.

If you know me well, you know I believe that we all have a responsibility to help others. I don't think it's a coincidence that I work in non-profit. I'm hesitant to do this, because I really cannot stand the whole "look at what a good person I am, I volunteer" mentality. It goes right along with the whole "I made chocolate chip cookies that I would like to pass out to women at a domestic violence shelter. I can't pass them out personally? Then they can't have them..." (Yes, I have had that conversation with some idiot who I may even be related to.) But, if we can make ripples, then let's get over ourselves and share how we make them.

So, this is how it's going to work: I'll spend minimal money (you don't have to spend much to make an impact). I'll keep the time commitment minimal (it's limited enough as it is). I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to give you ideas of what you can do and little ways we can all make a difference. There are 52 weeks in a year. That's 52 opportunities to make a difference.

Care to join me?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am looking for just this concept. I want to "help" and contribute; but am overwhelmed by options..... JLK