Image Map

1.06.2012

Meal MacGyver: Roasted Chicken with Pumpkin

I've embraced the roasted vegetable and chicken one pot meal more and more over the last year. I usually end up getting rid of pumpkins at the end of fall, but I was able to put one that W had painted in preschool to good use for a meal on a day I had no idea what to make and a blogging pal, Thien-Kim, inspired me to add fruit to my regular roasted vegetables, which I did here.


Here's how I did it: I chopped onions, potatoes, and pumpkin, which I tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper. Then I added a couple cloves of garlic, a couple handfuls of raisins, a handful of dried cranberries, as well as a couple of bay leaves, a palmful of cinnamon, and a heavy sprinkle of allspice and curry. I added this to bone-in chicken breasts in my trusty dutch oven and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour.

This is a good one for those nights that you feel like you have nothing in the kitchen. Dig those chicken breasts out of the freezer and throw in any root vegetable, potatoes, or fruits like apples, cranberries, raisins, or prunes and I pretty much guarantee it will be awesome.

No comments: