Image Map

7.14.2009

Kid in a Candy Store

My friend Gina was laid off. Huge bummer. But, unfortunately, there are many Ginas out there right now. She told me a funny story about spending time with her niece, who is in the stage of asking question after question and listening and repeating everything.

She kindly said to someone, "Gigi doesn't have a job anymore." Of course, Gina then had to explain that she was recently laid off. It doesn't translate to the poor girl what her sentence really meant.

"I know what you should do now," she said.

"What's that?"

"Open a candy store."

"Would you come work for me?"

"No, but I'd come and eat all the candy."

This little conversation really has made me think tonight. This kid is wise. The more I think about it, the more I have to wonder if that is what went wrong. Did too many people open their candy store and then just eat all the candy instead of work and then share that candy under the table with their friends and family? Were too many living out the fantasy of a 4 year old?

No comments: